Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Date - Part 1: The Pickup.

As the little hand reached 8 and the big hand reached 12, my heart rate started to increase as I turned the steering and maneuvered the car through a corner leading to a dead end at the end of the road. Her house was located third from the end on the right. A small little double storey house with a rather tall white gate. As I arrive at the end of the road, I made a 3 point turn and neatly positioned my vehicle in front of her gate, careful not to block much of the road so passer-by cars were able to get through. My consideration for other motorists brought little distraction as my thoughts ventured back to the situation at hand. With a quick decisive action, I locked the car in position swiftly pulling the hand brake with one hand and reaching into my right pocket to grab the N73 with the other.

With a few press of the phone's keypad, a message was swiftly sent beyond the
atmosphere of the earth, bounced of the dishes of the satellite hovering above and accurately shot itself into a SE K310 which might have been placed just a few feet away from where I was. "Reach edi", short, simple and direct. A minute passed and my doubts about the efficiency of our local mobile network integration dissipated as the front doors of her house opened. There I caught the first sight of her for the day and I happily sighed in relieve as I try to keep my anxiousness in check. She hurried out of the front doorway, turning to make sure it was locked and with small impatient steps, headed towards the gate. The yellow from the street light bounce of her long straight hair giving it a subtle glow effect as though it was a river flowing down her shoulders. For this moment when I was dazed, I hadn't noticed that she had made her way in my car and fitted herself snugly onto the Recaro. I managed a faint smile, released the brakes and proceeded to drive off.

No comments: